Being a writer used to mean having the highest quality paper and ink, whether it was for hand-written work or using a typewriter. Now, you need to find the best laptop for writers specifically if you want to be able to work seamlessly.
As laptops are mainly used for many different functions like writing, surfing the Internet and downloading music, it can be difficult to find one that has been specifically designed to meet the needs of something that will be mostly using it for writing. You should consider the look and the feel of the laptop that you will be spending so much time with as well as which features will really make it easy to use.
Features to Think About
The most important feature of the laptop is going to be the thing that you use the most: the keyboard. Of course, the writing application and the screen size are also important, the keyboard is the aspect that will allow you to type at top speed and will also be comfortable to use for hours on end. Consider the following when examining the laptop keyboard:
- Layout. Of course, you will want a QWERTY keyboard but you should consider how close you want the keys to be, how bouncy they will feel under your fingertips as you type and also where the numbers and additional keys are. Most compact laptops will come with the minimal amount of extra keys so there will be shortcuts to use some of the symbols rather than them having their own key.
- Feel and Quality. The keys should be smooth and should also be made in a way that means you will not be pounding the keyboard or will have to avoid even the softest touch. There should also never be the chance that a key will fall off at any point in time unless you are the once forcing it off to clean.
- Backlight. Whether you do any of your writing in the dark or not, having a backlight can really make your life easier even when the lighting is just slightly lower. This is a feature that you might not think about until you desperately need it, so best to get a laptop that comes with it from the start.
Top 10 Laptops for Writers Overview Chart
What Makes a Laptop Good for Writers?
- Less weight. As a writer, chances are the work will take place in many different locations. With this in mind, you should choose a model that is lightweight and easy to bring to a café or have on your lap in bed.
- Good Processor. This is essentially the brains of your computer. You need a “brain” that will be able to run all of the programs you want at the same time and do so without losing any quality or speed in the process.
- No Overheating. As you will be working on the laptop for long periods of time, you won’t want to deal with a loud fan that is trying to cool down your laptop or having the entire system shut itself down to keep cool. Laptop overheating is a no-go if you want to have effective and pleasant writing sessions.
- Large storage. You need to keep all of that work somewhere! There are a few options in terms of storage. You can use an external hard drive for everything or you can keep the writing directly on your laptop. You may find that there is a cheaper laptop that would be perfect for your purposes but it doesn’t have space. In this case, we suggest going for the cheaper laptop option paired with a reliable external drive for the most cost effective solution.
- Long Battery Life. The battery lives of the laptop that you choose is key when you will be writing at home or on the go. Having a longer battery life means you do not have to worry about finding a plug or bringing the cable with you everywhere that you go. The best laptop for writers will have a least 6 hours of battery life.
Top 3 Best Laptop for Writers Reviews
The Acer Aspire E 15 E5-574G-52QU comes with a gorgeously large screen and all of the comfort you could want from a typing laptop. This is actually a good option for typing and for basic all around use.
Though the 6-hour battery life could be improved, this laptop makes up for all of that with the other specs.
It comes with a processor that makes all work fast and easy and it is pretty lightweight when you take the size into account.
The Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro is an outstanding laptop in every sense. The screen size is mid-range, which means it is perfect for writing and working but it also isn’t too big to affect the portability.
You can really take this laptop anywhere with you and use it in a variety of ways as it is highly flexible.
The keyboard is incredibly comfortable and is well set out considering the unique additions of this laptop. What makes this the best laptop for writers is the lightweight, thin shape and the high resolution screen.
The ASUS ZenBook UX303UA is a great touchscreen laptop that will make writing a breeze and will make any other operations easy too.
With 12 GB of RAM, this laptop runs at top speeds so you will never have a bad connection or slow operating system getting in the way of you getting any work done.
The battery life and the comfort of this model are the real draws here. You cannot go wrong for the price and the quality of the machine.